Cole has his first swim meet last night! It was the O'Fallon Torpeados against the Monticello Killer Whales. He did AMAZING!! He wasn't nervous or shy before any race. I was so impressed.
We were worried the meet might get delayed or cancelled with the questionable weather we had yesterday but neither happened! A few rain drops but not enough to cause a delay. I figured we would be sweating at Cole's meets but this one was a bit chilly. Cole was cheered on by Matt, my Mom and Kerry. I had a wonderful time and think he really enjoyed it as well. For me it brought back so many childhood memories as all of my summers were spent at the pool on the swim team in my neighborhood.
Warm ups started at 4:30pm and it was crazy how many kids they had in the pool at one time. I think Cole got to do one lap of free style and one lap of backstroke during this time. I was a timer for the meet and timed for six hours! Glad that is the only time I am working that many hours. Our team has almost 200 swimmers on it and the other team had about 150! So the entire meet lasted until 11pm! Luckly Cole was done around 8:30pm and Matt took him home.
His first race was the 100 yard freestyle relay where each swimmer does one lap of the pool. His relay got 2nd place! He stopped a few times to catch his breath but had some pretty good stretches of swimming.
His next event was the 25 yard backstroke. I'm convinced this is his stroke! He got 2nd place in this event as well. He stayed on his back the entire time! He can really move! He still needs to work on his stroke which will only make him faster.
Next came the 100 yard medley relay. For the 6 and unders it consists of two kids swimming backstroke and two doing freestyle. In a normal medley relay it is one lap of each stroke. Cole started off the event with backstroke and did wonderful once again. His team also got 2nd place!
His final event was the 25 yard freestyle. I'm not sure what place he ended up with this event because there were two heats for this event. Once again he did an amazing job! You could tell he was tired by the end of the lap because he was spending more time on his "pillow" as he calls it. That just means he was swimming more on his side with his head turned to the side to give him a rest. He also flipped to his back for a few seconds toward the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment