Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Visitor from Santa has Arrived!






Sunday morning a visitor arrived at our house - our very own elf!! He was sitting on the mantle with a book "Elf on the Shelf" explaining who he was and what he does. He also brought the boys a special book about the story of Christmas.





The Elf on the Shelf is a visitor sent from Santa. He comes to watch over you during the day and then reports to Santa at night. He is magical and that is how he is able to fly to Santa to tell him if you've been naughty or nice. Then he flies back so that he is at your house every morning when you wake up. Each morning he is in a different spot so Cole has to fine where he parked himself for the day.
The book talks about a few rules. One, you are not supposed to touch the elf - otherwise he loses his magic and wouldn't be able to fly to Santa each night. He also is unable to talk, per Santa's orders. You can however talk to him to let him know what you would like for Christmas and he will report back to Santa. So far Cole has told him that he wants a hula hoop and fragiles (I had to ask him what fragiles were. He pointed towards my Willow Tree Nativity Scence. He likes to play with them and I tell him that he cannot play with them because they are fragile and might break. So he wants his own fragiles to play with).
When the elf first arrives you are supposed to name him. Cole happened to spot the elf on the mantle while watching Sponge Bob Square Pants. So, his first name was Sponge Bob. I suggested we name him something else. He chose Sillypants. So, our Elf on the Shelf is named Sillypants. I guess it could be worse!
As we were reading the book that explains who the elf is and what he does when I got to the part about the elf flying back to Santa every night Cole was not a believer, at first. He told me that he can't do that because he is only pretend. I had to reiterate to him that he is magical and that is how he gets back to Santa and then back to our house every morning. He seems to be warming up the the elf since he has now been here for three mornings.

1 comment:

  1. our neighbor got us this but I didn't put it out yet. Someone told the girls that Santa wasn't real and so I'm trying to not talk about it much. Tonight they asked why Santa never brings the reindeer if he's real and I said that he only needs them on Christmas since he has so many places to go, but on a normal day he could go in his car since he only needed to be in one place at a time - I should probably put that on my blog so I remember next year.

    ReplyDelete