Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kindergarten Update

Cole has now been in kindergarten for a little over a month. Fall break is just around the corner (two weeks from tomorrow to be exact) and that means the end of first quarter. We've got parent-teacher conferences for him on October 5th and I can't wait to hear how he is doing when we meet with his teacher!

He brings home a daily sheet that gives him one of three smiley faces to indicate how his behavior was that day. Every day, except for one, he has gotten a smiley face. Last Friday he got a straight face because he wasn't following directions. I know a few other days he was close to getting a straight face but then earned his smiley face back for behaving well. He's come home this week so far with smiley faces so hopefully that will continue.

Homework assignments started coming home the first week of September. They aren't required, just extra to help reinforce what they are doing in class. There is usually a short assignment for Monday through Thursday to complete. Some of the things he did for this week (we finished it up tonight) was write the letters D,d,H,h,C,c five times. He also had to write his first and last name three times as well as write the number 5 and 6 five times each. The last thing he did was have to draw a picture that rhyme with the following words and then write the word of the picture he drew - rug (he did bug), rig (he did wig) and bat (he did rat). He's pretty good with rhyming which is something he worked on a lot last year in preschool.

He comes home every Friday with a new library book for us to read. Lately he's been coming home with books about dinasours. I can't wait to take him to the Natural History museum next time we are in Chicago. I'm sure he will love it!

Today when I got home I wrote down five sight words he is supposed to be working on this month (the, and, on, you & we). He came home a little bit later with Matt and saw the words. He came right over to me and was able to read/recognize four of the five words. I was so impressed!

Cole working on his homework tonight that is for this week.

Three words Cole wrote down that he copied from the front of the paper pad.  Then he told me what they were without any help from me or any pictures.  I was so impressed!
Quick picture of Cole doing his homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment