Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apple Picking Field Trip

I joined Cole's class last week (9-12-11) on their first field trip of the school year. We went to Centennial Farms in Augusta, MO to go apple picking. It is the same place Cole did a field trip to the pumpkin patch last year in preschool.

All six kindergarten classes went, on two buses. The parents drove separately so they could fit all the kids on two buses. It takes about 30 minutes or so to get there from Cole's school. When we arrived Cole's class went to see what they do with the apples they pick. They got to see the sorter machine and go in the walk in regrigerator where they store the apples. Then we spoke with the lady who collect the honey from the bees. Next, was a taste of apple butter on a cracker (which Cole did not try for the second year in a row.

They have a place for the kids to run around and play so we stopped there for a while. Then before going apple picking we had someone talk to us around a tree that is somehow linked the the ones Johnny Applesee grew (can't remember how).

Finally, what the kids had been waiting for - a hayride and apple picking! Each kid could pick four apples. I'll have to say they weren't the best looking apples I've ever seen but the kids had fun. To finish up the field trip we had a picnic lunch.

I left with two other Moms to go back to school before Cole's bus pulled away. When I got back to school I found out his bus had broken down not far from the apple picking place. At first they weren't going to send another bus until the other kindergarten bus came back to school, dropped its kids off and then would go back to get the other kids. Luckly they ended up sending another bus before that because I was not going to be happy if they didn't. 60 kindergartners stuck on a bus on a warm day does not sound ideal to me.

I volunteered in the library putting away some books until Cole's class returned. I had told his teacher I would help make some die cut outs for her. After I did that I ended up staying in Cole's class helping since he didn't want me to leave.

Cole with his apples.

Cole's kindergarten class.

Picking apples

Cole with Matthew and Sam (the two that were with us that day).

No comments:

Post a Comment