Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Swim Lessons - December 2010


Cole has been taking swim lessons at the Renaud Spirit Center for the past four weeks. He was in level 2 submarines which is the same place he left off last Spring. I think we are going to take a break for January and start back up again in February or March. I really want him to be able to join a swim team this summer (they have one in O'Fallon that is part of the RSC but their outdoor pool) so he will need more practice before then.
He accomplished the goal of being able to swim by himself this summer which I was super excited about! Now he needs to work on his stroke and breathing when swimming freestyle. He became much more comfortable swimming and floating on his back during this past session but he still needs lots of practice in that area. He is only able to float on his back by himself for a few seconds and needs his teacher's assisstance when swimming on his back. In the first few lessons he was very uncomfortable on his back but by the end he was doing it with out any hesitation so I'm pleased with that gain.
He is able to bob up and down in the water as well as dive for and retrive a ring at the bottom of the water. He can also swim on his front all by himself using his arms. He needs work with his kicking but I am just glad that he is using his arms more frequently. I took several videos of Cole's swimming last night at his last lesson.


Here is a video of Cole bobbing up and down in the water:


Here is Cole diving for a ring and getting it from the bottom of the pool:


Here is Cole floating on his back with the help of his teacher:


Here is Cole swimming on his back with the help of his teacher (I think he'd do better if they used a kickboard which I don't know why they don't):

Here is my FAVORITE video. It is Cole swimming freestyle all by himself! He can swim quite a ways by himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment