I took Cole up to daycare this morning to visit for an hour. I say I do it so that he gets use to it before he starts to go all day but I really think its more for me than him. I enjoy getting to see who he is going to spend his day with, it gives me the opportunity to meet his teachers. There are two teachers in his room - Ms. Barb & Ms. Emmery. One works until 4:30pm and the other until 5pm so I should be able to talk to both of them when I pick up Cole since most likely I will be picking him up around 4pm on most days. They both seemed very nice and helped to make Cole and me more comfortable.
Cole is going to be in a joint three year old/four year old room - many of his friends from when he went last year will be in that room. However when we went this morning I didn't recognize anyone and all of the kids looked so big! It made me a little unsettled at first. Then I found out that all of those kids, many of whom are five or will be give next year, will be moving up to the next classroom on August 17. That is when Cole's new classmates who are more around his age will come over. So, that calmed me nerves.
When we first walked in they were doing circle time and their normal start of the week/day activities. Some of the kids get a job assigned to them for the week. They went over the weather, filled in the calendar for what day it was, sang some songs about some letters in the alphabet, as well as songs about the days of the week and months of the year. Looks like Cole is going to be able to learn a lot this year! He didn't join into circle time but wasn't too clingy so that was good. I did have to fight back the tears a few times in the beginning but felt more comfortable as the time went on.
Then the kids divided up and sat at different tables. Cole easily picked a table to sit at and joined in the activities. They were working on the letter "R." The first activity was to trace the letter R on paper - Cole really just colored it. Then they got to use the red crayong to color in a baseball cap - he did an AWESOME job coloring the hat & staying in the lines. I was very impressed!! They work on the kids learning to write their own name (which Cole has never tried before) so that will be good for him. It was funny to watch Cole just color with his pencil while some of the kids traced the letter - what was funny was one kids started to show him what to do and Cole just kept coloring. He was enjoying what he was doing.
While he was at the table I asked him if I could take some of Luke's stuff that I had brought to Luke's room. He had no problem with me going. When I came back he was doing great! It made me feel so much better to see him sit at the table and join in, talking to the other kids and the teachers. I know he's going to do awesome!
We are going back tomorrow for one more trial hour and then next Monday he and Luke will start full time. Yikes!
No comments:
Post a Comment